Getting your Pennsylvania REAL-ID? We can help

Category: Elk County News
Published: Wednesday, 22 January 2020

Beginning October 1, 2021, Pennsylvanians will need a REAL-ID compliant driver’s license, photo ID card, or another form of federally-acceptable identification (such as a valid passport or military ID) to board a domestic commercial flight or enter a federal building or military installation that requires ID.

Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about obtaining your Pennsylvania Real ID can be found at the following website:  Once there, scroll down to Prepare For Real ID and then Gather Your Documents

At the Elk County Courthouse, we can help you with the “Proof of all legal name changes” documents.

The Elk County Recorder of Deeds, Register of Wills and Clerk of the Orphans’ Court office can assist you if your name changed as a result of marriage. 

If your marriage license was applied for in Elk County and the proof of marriage was returned to us following your ceremony, we can issue a certified copy of your marriage license that can be used in the Real-ID application process.  If you’ve been married multiple times, you will need copies of each marriage certificate.  Each duplicate marriage license certificate is $5.00.  You can call and request your certified copy ahead of time, and just stop in to pick it up.  You can reach us at (814) 776-5349.   If you would like the certified copy mailed to you, it is an additional $0.50 to cover postage so your total for each mailed certificate is $5.50.  You can make checks payable to the Elk County Clerk of the Orphans’ Court.  The Register & Recorders office accepts cash, checks, or money orders.

If your marriage license was applied for in another County in Pennsylvania, that County will have the proof of your marriage and you’ll need to work directly with them to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate(s).

If you changed your name as a result of a divorce (e.g., returned to your maiden name), the Elk County Prothonotary/Clerk of Courts office can assist you if you require a certified copy of a divorce decree.  You can call in advance to confirm that your decree is filed in Elk County (814) 776-5344.  Certified copies of divorce decrees are $10.00.  The Prothonotary’s office accepts cash, checks, or money orders.

If you are in need of an official duplicate birth certificate, please view the following Pennsylvania's Division of Vital Records website -  - where you can discover how to order your certificate online, by telephone, or in person.

Keystone Scholars - UPDATE

Category: Elk County News
Published: Tuesday, 17 December 2019
Elk County was part of the Keystone Scholars pilot program where the State's Treasury Department deposits $100 in a 529 Savings Account for every newborn.  State Treasurer Torsella recently provided some exciting updates on the program; and Elk County did extremely well in the pilot program.  The Keystone Scholars program now covers the entire Commonwealth.  Here is a link to Torsella's press release:

Change in Dog License Sales Location

Category: Elk County News
Published: Tuesday, 19 November 2019
Attention dog owners !!!   The Elk County Treasurers Office would like to inform you that Elk County Ammo and Arms is no longer selling dog licenses.  Burkes Ace Home Center will now be issuing the 2020 dog licenses in St. Marys.  You can find Burkes Ace Home Center at 1077 Million Dollar Highway in St. Marys.

Elk County Launches PulsePoint

Category: Elk County News
Published: Wednesday, 21 August 2019

Are you CPR Certified ?   

Did you ever wish you could help someone in need of CPR ?

Elk County is proud to partner with the Allegheny Health Network / St. Vincent Hospital to bring to our residents

PulsePoint is comprised of 2 APPS that can be downloaded to your cell phone (either IOS or Android). 


The PulsePoint RESPOND APP is used to notify you when a cardiac arrest is occurring at a public location within ¼ mile of where you are currently located.  The purpose of this is to alert CPR trained individuals that they may be able to help someone in need while first responders are going to the scene.  Seconds count in these situations; so being able to begin CPR at the earliest possible time is the goal.  You will never be sent to someone's private residence - only public locations.


The PulsePoint AED APP allows a user to assist in creating a registry of AED machines and their locations.  This assists 911 to inform responders / callers of the location of any nearby AED machines during a crisis.


More information, including downloads, is available at

Painting Donated to Elk County

Category: Elk County News
Published: Tuesday, 11 June 2019
The family of Elk County native Sven Ohrvel Carlson donated an original oil painting of the Elk County Courthouse.  This painting will be displayed in the Courtroom.  Pictured here are Chief Clerk Lee Neureiter, Commissioner Matthew Quesenberry, Commissioner Daniel Freeburg, and Carlson family members Ruth Deloach, Ted Deloach, and Gregg Johnson.  


Elk County Courthouse
250 Main Street
P.O. Box 448
Ridgway, PA 15853

Elk County Courthouse Annex
300 Center Street
P.O. Box 448
Ridgway, PA 15853